And speaking of old school, I found this screenshot from when people (obviously myself included) were confused on what the status box on facebook actually meant.
I’m aging myself but that is A-OK. Great timing on the Yahoo/Tumblr merger because coincidentally I’ve been going through my old photos and randomly came across these two screen shots I took via 2008-old school tumblr style! Anyone remember this? The Tumblettes. I’m still not sure what this feature really was or why I used MS Paint to draw hearts around my head but it brings me back to when my blog was called “Ok…TRUE STORY”..(pretty cliche’ I know) and I was posting things like “Get Your Shit Together Sunday” and my love of Chicago (Ok, I still do that) and when Julia Allison was the recommended blog to follow. I’ve honestly met some awesome people through here and congrats, dear Tumblr…it’s been a ride, for sure.
Suburban Feels; part 1
I’ve forgotten some very basic sounds, sights and feelings of the suburbs. And that is a little bit heartbreaking and surreal. Let’s rewind 8 years ago when I moved out of my parents home in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago to pursue my dream of being the next Robin on the Howard Stern radio show. No really. That used to be my dream.
Anyhow, I moved to the city of Chicago for school, fell in love with both a boy and the big city and got very accustomed to “city life” for the next 8 years. Accustomed so much that I forgot to relax.
Fast forward to today, May 23rd 2013, I am in my transistion to my next venture, and I am back in suburbs and have forgotten so many small things that the city just did not provide me with. Trust me, I LOVE Chicago. I love the sounds of the brown line automated voice telling me when the next train will arrive (and if I will need to make up an excuse that I’m going to be late to work), the best postcard worthy lakefront there is, and the culture. The raw confident culture. But it’s good to change sometimes; to remember that there is still a sense of calmness in the world. I literally forgot about families and big backyards with homemade tree houses and kids playing tag through sprinklers. So, I’m here (although, yes, I’m still downtown 1 day a week) and I’m embracing it for the calmness that it can provide me.
2013 Chicago Festival Guide
It’s already that time of the year for the best season in Chicago: Street Fest Season! Get out your koozis and friends for day drinking, art, music, people watching, cover bands and some 90’s one-hit-wonders playing that “one song” that everyone knows (“It’s been….one week since you looked at me…”) and trust me, these band go great with vodka lemonades. Chicago Fest Season 2013!
*Disclosure: There are many more, as this is just a highlighted list.
- 25-26th: Belmont Music Fest (Lakeview)
- 30-June 2nd: Maifest (Lincoln Square)
- 31-June 2nd: Do Division (Wicker Park)
- 1-2: Lincoln Live (Lincoln Park)
- 7: Taste of Greece (West Loop)
- 7-8: Ribfest (Lakeview)
- 7-8: Blues Fest (Loop)
- 8-9: Wells Street Art Fair (Old Town)
- 8-9: Old Town Art Fair (Old Town)
- 14-16: Taste of Randolph (West Loop)
- 15-16: Sausage Fest (Wrigleyville) Hello, Abe Froman?
- 20-23: Chicago Craft Beer Festival (Old Town)
- 22-23: Pride Fest (Boystown)
- 23-24: Green Music Fest (Wicker Park)
- 28-29: Old St. Pat’s World’s Largest Block Party (West Loop)
- 29: Summer On Southport (Lakeview)
- 29-30: Chicago Country Fest (Lincoln Park)
- 29-30: Lincoln Park Arts and Music Festival (Lincoln Park)
- 30: Pride Parade (Boystown)
- 5-7: Windy City Rib Fest (Uptown)
- 6-7: Taste of Lakeview (Lakeview)
- 6-7: Rock Around the Block (Lakeview)
- 10-14: Taste of Chicago (Grant Park)
- 12-14: Windy City Smokeout (River North)
- 19-21: Pitchfork (Union Station)
- 20: Sheffield Garden Walk (Lincoln Park)
- 27-28: Taste of Lincoln (Lincoln Park)
- 27-28: Wicker Park Fest (Wicker Park)
- 2-4: Lollapalooza
- 3-4: Chicago Summerfest (Wrigleyville)
- 7-11: Tall Ship (Navy Pier)
- 10-11: Retro on Roscoe (Roscoe Village)
- 10-11: Halsted Market Days (Boystown)
- 17-18: Air and Water Show (lakefront/wherever you can see the planes)
- 22-25: Festa Italiano (Little Italy)
- 24-25: Bucktown Arts Fest (Bucktown)
- 30-Sept 1: North Coast Music Fest (Union Park)
- 6-8 Windy City Wine Fest (Grant Park)
- 7-8 Guinness Oyster Fest (Roscoe Village)
- 27-29: Oktoberfest (Lincoln Park)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Trailer 2013
Ok, so this doesn’t come out until November (Movember) 22nd. Talk about the ultimate c*@k tease! We already have Gale all fine and making us hot and bothered. Now, we have to wait 6 more months? Looks amazing btw.
Photographer’s girlfriend leads him around the world
Man I’ve reblogged this like 3 times already.. I never do that. But I LOVE THIS SO MUCH, SON!
Will always <3 this.
The more you know of who you are and what you want, the less you let things upset you.
Lost in Translation (via jesseekkah)
“Unless it’s mad, passionate, extraordinary love, it’s a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life; Love shouldn’t be one of them.”
— Dream for an Insomniac
I’m moving here…. San Diego by the end of this year! bye bye Chicago.